In 1872, a group of ex-slaves left the Patterson Plantation and gathered in a section of Henrico County known as the "Furnace." This group of religious seekers organized a Sunday School. A year later, the group settled in what is now known as Westwood. Mr. Robert Pemberton and Mr. Willie Williams welcomed them into their homes for Prayer Service.
In 1874, the first Westwood Church was established. The building was a log cabin erected by both men and women. The first pastor, Rev. George Daggett, served the church and community for 20 years. The congregation steadily grew. Soon another edifice was built, this time of weatherboard. A cemetery was also designated in the rear of the church. READ MORE
- Biblical Instruction
- Love (Service)
- Legacy Builders (Justice)
We dream of becoming a Church on the RISE. We will reach out to ALL people in our community. We will impact our city with the Gospel and with Justice. We will share Christ with our neighbors, and we will create a culture where everyone belongs, takes ownership and becomes excited about living our mission.
Passionately and lovingly making disciples; Following Jesus and sharing Christ with all people.